The Basic Medication Safety (BMS) Course developed in 2008 by the Saudi Medication Safety Center (SMSC) is designed for any healthcare provider involved in the medication use process - e.g., physicians, dentists, pharmacists, nurses, respiratory therapists, etc.
Certification is valid for a period of two years, after which time it must be renewed.
The Course curriculum is revised every two (2) years.
The learning objectives of the BMS course are to:
- identify Human Factors associated with medication errors
- explain the concept of a Just Culture
- review definitions related to medication safety
- discuss the impact of latent failures on medication safety
The Basic Medication Safety (BMS) Course Agenda Download
2016 PowerPoint Lectures
- Introduction to the Basic Medication Safety (BMS) Course Download
- Overview of Medication Errors Download
- Look-Alike & Sound-Alike Medications & Error-Prone Abbreviations Download
- Allergy Status - Identification and Documentation Download
- High Alert Medications & Concentrated Electrolytes Download
- Safeguards to Prevent Medication Errors Download
- Medication Error & Near Miss Reporting Download
- Clinical Pearls & Take Home Messages Download